Klezmer Concert at St. Gaudens National Historical Park:
An Effort to Repudiate an Anti-Semitic Act at the Park
On Sunday August 21 the National Park Service (NPS)will host a klezmer concert and other activities to repudiate defacement of several statues with anti-Semitic symbols and phrases that occurred in the autumn of 2021.
The concert is part of the park’s Summer Concert Series. The concert will begin at 2 PM. The NPS is asking that people (regardless of attendance) submit pictures (painted or drawn - details below) with the themes of Community and of Tolerance. The NPS will bind them together into a “quilt” of these panels and will include it in their display at St. Gaudens. A booth will be available at the concert for attendees to create their own works that will be added to the quilt.
Goals of the Picnic/Concert/Art Display
- Generate widespread awareness of this event and why it is being held.
- Generate a large crowd to make a significant public statement of repudiating hatred.
- Generate numerous “quilt” panels that reflect support for Tolerance and Community.
- Create satisfaction knowing your art will be displayed at a national park.
- Bring your own picnic and enjoy the concert and the grounds.
- Enjoy a first-class concert in a lovely setting.
- Enjoy a day with family, friends, good food and people of good will.
- Have an opportunity to explore the public art and trails of a national historical park, one of only a few in New England.
Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park has declared Sunday August 22 as a fee free day at Saint-Gaudens National Historical Park.
This fee free day is in recognition of the Jewish cultural concert which will both introduce new audiences to the park and provide the greater community an opportunity to show their support to members of the Jewish community following the antisemitic vandalism at the park last year.
Quilt Panel Specifics
- Dimensions of each panel = 8” X 8”
- Any media is good (watercolor, oil, crayon, pencil, electronic, whatever)
- Paper should be either watercolor or card stock
- The NPS requests that any panels created before the event on August 21 be sent to the address above by August 14 so there is time to be bound together for display on August 21. Those panels created on the day of the picnic/concert will be added afterwards.
Sponsor: New Hampshire Park Service