Head of School/Family Programming Coordinator
Temple Israel is a diverse, Conservative-affiliated, egalitarian congregation located in the historic seaport city of Portsmouth, NH, about an hour north of Boston. Our members live in the seacoast area of New Hampshire and southern Maine. Our congregation is 300 member households strong; our Hebrew School enrollment ranges between 50 – 70 children.
We are seeking a dynamic, creative educator who is passionate about Jewish learning to direct our Hebrew School (K-7) and to implement family programming to foster ongoing engagement of families with children and teens. Our ideal candidate is a warm and approachable person who is committed to working collaboratively. We envision this as a 30-hour per week position.
Head of School
• Develop and implement the school curriculum, working collaboratively with the rabbi, faculty, and Education Committee
• Administer the Hebrew School, including developing a budget and managing expenses
• Recruit, orient, and manage faculty team including ongoing faculty development
• Recruit, hire, and supervise teen madrichim
• Develop a nurturing environment in which youth build a strong Jewish identity, participate in our synagogue community, and embark on a path of lifelong Jewish learning
Family Engagement Coordinator
• Plan, market, and implement multiple events each month targeting different age groups and engaging families through a variety of approaches such as music, art, movement, nature, and social action
• Provide thoughtful opportunities for youth to remain engaged beyond their b’nei mitzvah
• Establish meaningful relationships with current and prospective families, leading to increased enrollment in the Hebrew School
• Develop, plan, and implement outreach programming to engage unaffiliated Jewish families and members of the wider Seacoast community
• Cultivate relationships and collaborate in programming with partners in the greater community, including the Jewish Federation of New Hampshire, PJ Library, and regional USY
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• Degree in Jewish education and/or ordination or pending ordination as a rabbi or cantor, and/or a degree in education or a related field
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of and commitment to Jewish practices, values, and priorities
• Familiarity with child and adolescent development and with trends in Jewish education
• Command of modern Hebrew; ability to lead daily services; musical abilities a plus
• Ability to work effectively with clergy, professional and support staff, and Temple members, including board of directors, the Education Committee, parents, and children
• A high level of organization and the ability to take initiative, set priorities, delegate, and provide constructive supervision
• Experience in recruitment and community engagement, membership retention, and customer service
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated competence and leadership in conducting virtual meetings
• Proficiency in basic computer applications; skilled in using social media; familiarity with CRM (customer relationship management) and ShulCloud software a plus
• Creative digital and print marketing talents a plus
Salary commensurate with experience.
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Qualifications: Bachelor's Degree Preferred and 0-2 years of experience.